In March 2020, a European study of 5,900 consumers was commissioned by Two Sides and conducted online by independent research company, Toluna. Nationally representative surveys were undertaken in nine European nations, including the UK.
The survey sought to explore and understand consumer preferences, perceptions, and attitudes towards packaging. The key findings were:
• Paper and cardboard packaging ranks highest with consumers for sustainability attributes including: home compostable (72%), better for the environment (62%) and easier to recycle (57%).
• 70% are actively taking steps to reduce their use of plastic packaging.
• 48% would avoid retailers that are not actively trying to reduce their use of non-recyclable plastic packaging.
• 58% believe non-recyclable packaging should be discouraged through taxation.
• 66% prefer products ordered online to be delivered in paper rather than plastic packaging.
• 73% prefer products ordered online to be delivered in fitting, not oversized, packaging.
On the basis of the above, EC Group’s conclusions are:
1. Use cardboard and paper. Preferably recycled.
2. Avoid plastic wherever possible.
3. Make your packaging fit your product.
If you would like help with the packaging for your fulfilment activity we would be delighted to help. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Two Sides report or to find out about the many other tools and resources Two Sides produce, contact them on +44 (0)1327 262920, email@example.com and www.twosides.info/packaging2020